Monday, July 28, 2014

Frozen, Yet Fresh

Wandering the grocery store aisles and you can find some interesting items. One of these items is Dorot, frozen herbs ready to use for cooking. I thought that this was one of the coolest ideas. I've also found herbs in a squeezable bottle which sort of grossed me out and I called into question the freshness of the product.
I wanted to try this but at the time I didnt want to spend the money on it. But recently I was able to come across some fresh parsley. I knew that there was no way that I would be able to eat all of the parsley by myself in the time before it went bad. So I decided to be a little creative in my own right. So I started by taking off the leaves and rinsing the parsley with a good fruit and veggie wash from Trader Joe's. After washing the fresh leaves I chopped them up as finely as I could with the knives I had available. I also chopped up fresh garlic and added some other herbs and coconut oil. You can see below what it looked like after I was done with it.



After I was done mixing it all together I got a clean ice cube tray and filled the spaces with the herb mixture to freeze it. I put it in the freezer to harden so that I could not only save it for later, but also maintain the nutritional quality of the herbs. Parsley is actually related to celery. It is high in Vitamin A, C, K, and Folate (which is imporant for a healthy pregnancy). The flavonoids in parsley also act as antioxidants. Antioxidant help prevent oxygen-based damage to cells. 

I left the herbs in the freezer there for about 20 hours until it was solid and was easily removed. This is how they turned out! Nice little cubes that I am easily able to add to spaghetti or anything else in order to spice it up a little. Why not try to add a little spice to your life? Even if you don't have or can't have fresh herbs with your living situation, don't fret. You can definately take the fresh herbs from the store and do this so that they don't go bad.  I know that we have had plenty of herbs go bad sitting in our fridge. So save your money, time, and health with fresh herbs! 



No comments:

Post a Comment