Monday, July 28, 2014

Edamame Ed-ventures!

Now I'm a little ashamed to admit this, especially since I've been a vegetarian for 5 years now coming up in September. (Wow, I can't believe I've gone that long without bacon!) But I have never had edamame in the immature form. Sure I've had tofu and soy milk. But edamame is immature soybeans instead of mature, hard, and dry soybeans that are used to make soy milk and tofu. Walking through Costco I saw a large bag of organic edamame calling my name. So I bought the bag, brought it home, and opened it up not sure what exactly to expect. I boiled the edamame and drained them and found them looking quite similar to sugar snap peas. Now again remembering that I've never had them before I bit into one edamame pod and found it hard and fuzzy and gross. It was not until I reread the package that I found out I need to take the beans out of the pod.



After boiling the edamame pods I found that the beans slipped out very easily into my colander. So I spent a few minutes "de-beaning" the pods. Now I tried the edamame and found it quite delicious as I ate it as it was meant to be eaten! The beans looked awfully similar to lima beans, but have a harder texture than lima beans. They are just absolutely beautiful and look great in stir-frys, noodle-dishes, or just as a snack.


Now the real question comes into play...are they husband approved..?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment