Monday, August 18, 2014

Lil' bit of Limeade

The sun was warm and it felt nice as we walked along the pathway. Children ran past us laughing all the way to the habitats followed by a mix of awe and fear.  There Adam and I were walking the Toledo Zoo enjoying the company of each other, but it was definitely time for something to eat and drink! We stopped by the cafĂ© and Adam ordered a lemonade and I ordered an unsweetened iced tea. We sat down at a table and found refreshment from the drinks, rest, and company of each other. I decided to try his lemonade. Now take into consideration that I haven’t had lemonade in quite some time. My taste buds were in for it when I took that sip. I instantly put it down and my face scrunched up like a little kid. I couldn’t take the overwhelming power of the sugar and lemons. I have never had lemonade that strong before. All of this brought me to a new venture. I like lemonade but what is offered in stores and restaurants is too much for me. I wanted to make my own but didn’t have any lemons available. But I did have limes! And so my homemade limeade made its debut! Its husband tested and husband approved! 

My homemade Limeade Recipe:
           4 cups iced water
           3 fresh squeezed limes
           2 Tbsp Organic Cane Sugar (I only used 2 Tbsp as a starter amount of sugar. You can add less or more depending on your taste buds but for us 2 Tbsp was definitely enough!) 

            Ice



People have gotten used to the beverages offered today. All of them are loaded with sugar, artificial flavorings and colors, and let's face it...empty calories. Adam described this limeade drink as a great summer drink that was refreshing. 


So if you're a lemonade person or you like tart things why not try this recipe at home? You can even more more and keep it in the fridge or take it to a party for others to enjoy. I haven't tried it with lemons instead of limes but that would taste just as great. 

Health Benefits of Limes: 

Limes, of course, are part of the citrus family. They are often used in culinary feats to enhance the flavor of other foods. Limes are rich in sources of phytochemicals. Anytime that the word "chemical" comes into play people tend to back off. But phytochemicals are chemicals made naturally from plants and are not harmful. Actually the limes are rich in flavonoids that have powerful antioxidant and antibiotic effects. Limes can aid in digestion because it helps breakdown food molecules and will also help stimulate the secretion of digestion juices. The Vitamin C content of one lime is equal to 30% RDA and has the most potent antioxidants available. Vitamin C helps iron to be absorbed in the blody and improves blood circulation as well as most people attribute Vitamin C to...immunity. One medium sized lime contains 22 mg of calcium and that high calcium can contribute to strong teeth and bones. (www.fitday.com)

So not only is this beverage refreshing, light, and tart it gives you additional health benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment